Welcome to Reading @ the beach - 2009

Image acknowledgment to http://lindaminkowski.com/paintings/people6.jpg

Blue skies, warm sands, soft sea breezes, a chilled glass of wine and a great book…what a way to spend a summer day!!!

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Exposure by Mal Peet

I have often been told that Mal Peet is an excellent author but have not got around to reading any of his books. After reading Exposure I am a new fan. It is his third Paul Faustino novel with soccer as a main theme but the storyline does not relate to his previous novels Keeper or The Penalty. Set in South America. Otello is black and South America's top footballer, and Desmerelda is the beautiful, white pop-star daughter of a right-wing politician (note the Shakespeare's Othello reference). This story is full of excitement and drama; the celebrity couple lead an enviable life but struggle with the avaricious media. There is the politics of premier league football and the corruption within government and the police force, with the plight of homeless street children thrown in. This book reads like a quality TV drama. It is fast-paced and edgy, and has a very contemporary feel. Suitable for senior high school readers, Exposure will give teens an insight into the power of the media to create and destroy people, and the not-so-glamorous reality of celebrity. I loved it and I don't even like soccer. I am now keen to read Mal Peet's other work.

4 comments:

Janice said...

I had the pleasure of listening to Mal Peet speak about his books at the last Auckland Writer's festival. He is just brilliant!!!
I strongly recommend 'Tamar'. I'm sure you will enjoy it too.

Jane said...

I received Keeper in last years 'R@tB' and put off reading it because the cover didn't appeal (soccer player on his knees in the goal celebrating). When I finally read it I found it was fantastic and have been recommending Mal Peet ever since.
I have read reviews that suggest Exposure is based on the Beckhams (David and Victoria aka Posh Spice).

dw said...

That's interesting, Jane, about the couple in Exposure possibly being based on the Beckhams. Certainly the ritzy lifestyle and media attention, plus their involvement with fashion using their fame is very similar. However the soccer star in Exposure is black and from a poorer area while his girlfriend is white and from a powerful, rich family. Therefore you get that whole racial and rich/poor issue.

Janice said...

This is very interesting!!! Ive just got to read this book too.