Welcome to Reading @ the beach - 2009

Image acknowledgment to http://lindaminkowski.com/paintings/people6.jpg

Blue skies, warm sands, soft sea breezes, a chilled glass of wine and a great book…what a way to spend a summer day!!!

Friday, January 22, 2010

Thunder Road by Ted Dawe

It seems I've been reading 'boys books' these holidays - first Exposure and now Thunder Road, and I have to say they've been great. Thunder Road is set in New Zealand and is about the very topical and controversial theme of street racing. The main characters are Trace, a country boy who finds himself in the Big Smoke, and Devon, a confident street-smart guy obsessed with fast cars. Trace is impressionable, and under the influence of his new mate Devon, gets sucked into the street racing world and its darker side of drugs and crime. The excitement of the strip turns dangerous and the story builds to a final, dramatic climax.

This is a very well-written realistic story with lots of street racing and criminal underworld details; an exciting and thought-provoking read for teens, especially boys. I think it could turn young people who find reading 'boring' onto reading with its fast-paced, current themes. I will definitely recommend it to students at my school.

2 comments:

Jane said...

This is a very popular book in our school. We have 2 copies in the library - both very battered and never on the shelf (also can't be replaced as it isn't in publication right now). Our English department has a class set. We all like the positive responses from our reluctant male readers. The big question is always what can they read after this.
Jane

Janice said...

There are quite a few series out which are great for boys. Robert Muchamore (Cerub series), Andy Brings
(Hero.net and Villian.net series), Mark Walden (H.I.V.E series), Top Secret/Jacqueline Chapman, Anthony Horowitz, Charlie Higson and Bear Grylls are some of the titles/authors that come to my mind.

Hope that helps!!!