Welcome to Reading @ the beach - 2009

Image acknowledgment to http://lindaminkowski.com/paintings/people6.jpg

Blue skies, warm sands, soft sea breezes, a chilled glass of wine and a great book…what a way to spend a summer day!!!

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle


Published by Oxford Children's Classics, ISBN 978019272004.

This version of the famous story featuring Sherlock Holmes and his faithful companion Dr Watson is complete and unabridged. It is a long time since I read this story but I found it as exciting and interesting as the first time I read it. The book is the size of a paperback but hard covered, and has 212 pages so it is not too off putting for junior readers. The story is a classic who done it, with Holmes and Watson racing against time to unravel the mystery of the fearsome phantom beast of the moors before Sir Henry Baskerville, the present owner of Baskerville Hall, is attacked and killed by it. The feeling of malevolence that permeates the story is bound to appeal to those children who enjoy horror stories.

No comments: